30 Eye-Opening YouTube Facts, Figures & Statistics For 2022
Since its inception in February 2005, YouTube has grown to become not only the largest online video sharing platform but the 2nd largest Search Engine and also the 2nd most visited website in the world.
What has sparked this huge growth is, in large part, to a new generation of ‘cord cutters‘, who are not satisfied with traditional TV viewing channels and have a demand for instant video, and 24/7 accessibility.
YouTube is only happy to oblige, with the introduction of YouTube TV which now caters to over 800,000 users, and the growth of their creator channels, offering financial rewards for those who can create both high-quality entertaining video, and maintain a large following of fans.
With over 300-hours of HD Quality video being uploaded every 60-seconds, it’s easy to see why YouTube is dominating as an online video platform and is able to compete with alternative streaming platforms such as NetFlix (40$ market share), Hulu (14% market share) and Amazon Prime (7%)
- There are 2.3 billion users who log in each month.
- The YouTube platform has over 1.3 billion videos uploaded.
- 1 billion hours of video are watched on YouTube every day.
- Over 5 billion videos are watched every single day on YouTube.
- Over 400 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- YouTube is available in more than 100 countries and 80 different languages.
- There are 30+ million daily active users on YouTube.
- 73% of polled YouTube users would be willing to pay $5 (USD) per month to access YouTube.
- The Indian Music Label T-Series has the most viewed YouTube channel worldwide with over 3 billion monthly views.
- As of the start of 2022 T-Series holds the channel with the most subscribers at 210 million, followed by Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes at 130 Million, SET India at 129 million, then PewDiePie at 111 million.
- The most popular video on YouTube “Baby Shark Dance” 10.30 has over 10 billion views.
- More than 90% of online shoppers said that they discovered new products via YouTube.
- The very first video uploaded to YouTube was on April 23, 2005, titled “Me at The Zoo“.
- More than 60% of YouTube views are coming from mobile devices.
- As of 2018, average users spend 69 minutes a week watching videos online. This number increases in people aged between 18-34 years old who spent around 106 minutes
- 96% of 18-24-year-olds are using YouTube.
- The number of YouTube channels with over one million subscribers grew 65%
- The number of creators making five or six figures grew more than 40% in 2019
- “YouTube Rewind 2018” is the most disliked video on the internet (with over 15 million dislikes).
- YouTube Music and YouTube Premium is now available in 62 countries.
- YouTube TV recently hit 4 million Subscribers.
- There are more than 1 billion captioned videos on YouTube.
- The highest-earning YouTube creator is the 7-year-old Ryan of Ryan’s World, earning an estimated $27 million per year.
- YouTube takes a 45% cut of any ad revenue generated by monetized videos.
- 67% of American internet users over the age of 67 use YouTube.
- Three of the Top 10 YouTube stars are child entertainers.
- Five of the Top 10 YouTube Stars are ‘Gamers‘.
- Videos with “how-to” in the title are growing 70 percent year over year.
- With the pandemic, 85% of people watched a live-streamed event in the last year.
- Website URL: https://www.youtube.com
- Founded: February 2005
- Founders: Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim.
- CEO: Susan Wojcicki
- Headquarters: San Bruno, CA
- Employees: 2000+
Sources & References
- Social Blade
- YouTube Press
- History of YouTube Wiki
Every effort is taken to keep this piece up-to-date. We revisit these YouTube statistics twice yearly in order to update old facts and figures and provide a current and holistic view of the YouTube video sharing platform.
Tags: Niche Research